This is the page where we tell it to you straight up!
- If you have never kayaked before we recommend the Hunting Island State Park Lagoon
- If you want to get out into the saltmarsh and have never kayaked before, we recommend a tandem (very stable)
- If a member of your party is struggling or getting frustrated while paddling, please kindly wait for them or ask if you can assist with anything
- Paddling a tandem with a young child in the front is an excellent idea! But it can be a lot of work and may require you to tap strength you have not used in a while
- If your child is younger than 6 years old, the Hunting Island State Park Lagoon is recommended
- Barefoot or flip-flops are not recommended. Footwear that protects your feet is recommended. Oyster shells are very very sharp
- Avoid heat exhaustion!...Hydrate yourself during the summer months! Before, during and after your excursion. This means don't stay up late drinking the night before!
- Bring a sun hat and wear sunscreen!
- Winter kayaking is wonderful here! But winter paddling in cotton clothes is not wonderful. Layered synthetic clothing is ideal
- Not wearing your pfd is not cool at all. The world's best kayakers wear pfd's!
- Alligators and sharks are seriously the last things you need to worry about
- The summer mornings are often hotter and more stagnant than the afternoons, which is when the wind/breeze tends to blow
- Paddling is a super awesome outdoor sport, so expect moderate to strenuous levels of physical exertion
- Getting out of your kayak onto a muddy bank is not recommended
- Getting out of your kayak onto a live oyster bank is a flat out very bad idea
- Kayaks can indeed capsize, but we will talk you through what to do if this happens
- Paddling in the Atlantic surf is the the most surefire way to find yourself capsized (unless of course you are skilled at bracing techniques)
- Paddling on the mighty North Atlantic Ocean is not recommended unless you are proficient at capsize recovery skills
- If you simply insist on paddle on the Atlantic Ocean and are not proficient at capsize recovery skills, you better not go far from shore